Monday, July 16, 2007

Climing the Pyranees

Hey Folks,

Wondering why you havent heard from me in over a week? Ive been in the mountains doing some really great hiking.

When I was younger I remember heading out to the Rockies for small day hikes up to the tops of a couple mountain peaks. My father can attest to me literally running to the top of a 2500+ mountain....then running back down, without rest. So yeah, flash forward 10 years and im here in Spain looking to kill a couple weeks before my mother meets me in Barcelona.

Ive mentioned in previous posts that im probably in the best and worst shape ive ever been in. I can walk all day but when it comes to hard fast impact, im broken. Ive been pretty lazy about getting my heart rate up and eating the foods I should be. Oh well.

The Pyrenees are in North-Eastern Spain and summits can reach upwards of 3500 meters. With over a week to kill I decided to plan a multi ascent climb, stretching over 4 solid days, at about 2500 meters with the final ascent in at around 3200 meters.

Getting to the mountains was a bit of a hassle. Two days before I even reached base camp in the Valle De Bujaruelo I was stuck waiting for trains, buses, then the shuttle to a town called Torla. From Torla it was a 6km hike (With my 20 kilo pack) to the first Refugio called San Nicolas. A Refugio is basically a mountain shelter that varies on what is provided. The ones I stayed in were pretty neat with bunks stacked 3 people high by about 8 wide. Lots of fun.

Here are some photos from the first stage into the Pyranees.

Enjoy!

D.



A shot from the train heading into what I like to think of as the badlands.



A shot from my room window in Torla.



Streets of Torla, the night before the trip.



After the 6km hike I was greeted by San Nicolas.



You can choose to drive up to San Nicolas so there were lots of groups camping overnight.




The first day was pretty easy. About 5 hours of walking through valleys.





No comments: