Friday, January 12, 2007

Chang Mai, Northern Thailand

Wow.

These last couple days have transcended any expectation so far. Arriving via Krabi-Bangkok-Chang Mai was effortless and cheap. Shannon and I shared a room with a really cool American that looked like Kevin Smith. He had some fun stories about his musical travels and 11 week Thai massage course. I asked him about his killer leather bag and where he got it. He informed me that Morraco has some great leather products and to check it out while im in Spain. So im going to Africa, twice!

We booked the trek as soon as we arrived in our unreal guest house. The two day, one night trek started with a 3 hour drive up North into a national park full of Burmese refugees from Mynamar. These tribes fled from Mynamar on a 30 day walk to settle into the stellar Thai mountains. After a short stop at a waterfall we started our trek. The first thing we did was have lunch. About 15 min. into our lunch we were approached by the locals and begged to buy there random crafts and jewellery. I bought a bracelet.

A 2 hour hike into the jungle brought us to the elephant portion of our trek. The pictures below can show you how large they were. I got to sit on my elephants neck and tug at his ears.

Once we arrived in camp we explored a little bit and saw where the festivities were going to take place. We had a nice curry dinner with some Coca Cola!

Sitting around the fire was really nice. Stars were all around us as the locals performed some local Burmese songs and dance. It was all very sureal and emotional. The night was really cold and I only slept about 4 hours. I got up for a nice sunrise and had some eggs and toast for breakfast.

Just before we were about to leave I heard a loud and terrible animal scream. I thought that maybe someone was branding an animal but it was actually a women de-tusking baby pigs. The pictures below show more.

The rest of the day consisted of hiking and travelling through the jungle until we reached our river rafting expedition! Bamboo rafts held together by leather straps made for an interesting trip down the river. About half way through one of the guides jumped off the boat into the water and caught a massive fish. He later told me that it would feed about 12 people.

After a long shower and rest Shannon and I headed down the famous Chang Mai night bazzar. I bought tons of really nice items like silk boxers, country patches for my pack, Silk bed spread and other neat collectibles.

Something really neat happened when I was walking around in the market last night. I stopped to collect all the flags for my pack when I was overcome with the more amazing sense of happiness. It was literally like a wave of heat coming over me. I felt at home. No worries, no stress, no regrets, no fear.

D.



Bankok Airport at Sunset (Left) Airport interior (Right)



A waterfall in Chang Mai was our first stop on our 2 day trek. (Above)



Burmese refugees selling crafts and jewellery.





Nothing is more beautiful than a curious childs face. (Above)




The landscape was astounding.






This elephant sat for us with surprising grace. (Right)



The Burmese refugee camp was built after a 30 day walk from Mynamar. (Left) Somehow I got stuck with 7 girls and an older fellow Canadian. (Right)



The younger women of the tribe sang and danced traditional music for the group.








Watching this women yang tusks from these baby pigs was interesting. She pulled them out with a nail clipper.



On our way to the night bazaar with 3 irish girls. (Right)

No comments: