Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Northern Thailand Complete

Hey everyone.

I started with Bangkok down hitting countries like Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia. Now im heading North into Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. North of Bangkok is so different from the South. Its another world up here. Some call it the "real" Thailand. I think I like both South and North equally as much. Its easy for me to now say that Thailand is my favorite country so far, only with the addition of the North.

Starting from Chang Mai I booked a trip into the mountains to visit the hill tribes. From there I spent a day relaxing in Chang Mai then headed further North into a small town called Pai. Pai is pretty famous for its laid back attitude. Do what you want, smoke drugs, drink, take photos, eat good food or enjoy the more subtle Northern Thai massage. I stuck to reading, running, music and food.

So what have a learned about Northern Thailand?

Culture: It seems the locals here adopt a "who cares?" attitude. Everyone is happy to be alive and dont take life to seriously. Maybe the Laos attitude has leaked past the borders?

Tourism: Very strong up here. Most of the people you find here arent as interested in getting drunk every night. Travellers are more geared towards learning about the hill tribes and enjoying the elephant treks. This portion has allowed me to feel more at home than the south.

Religion: A smattering of Wats and temples reach almost everywhere but the religion isnt as in your face as Malaysia or Indonesia. Maybe that is a direct reflection of Buddism itself.

Food: Perfect. Cheap, Clean, variety. Perfect.

Weather: Again perfect. No rain, not alot of heat and cool evenings.

So Thailand has regained its crown over Malaysia as my favorite country. Japan is darn close believe me. Maybe Laos can top Thailand? Without the beaches I doubt it but we shall see. Im flying out of Chang Mai into Luang Prabang in 2 days.

Wish me luck!

D.

No comments: