Wednesday, January 03, 2007

A Gift

Leaving Patong on New Years day, I headed north 2 hours to the dive town of Ko Lak. Koh Lak is full of dive shops and fancy resorts. Across the main road I got a nice room with a king-size bed, a/c, fridge, and hot shower for about 15 bucks a night. A little more than I should be spending by what the heck?

Ko Lak is situated east of the Similian and Surin National Marine Parks. These parks are protected from fishing and other destructive industries. These islands are also rated the top in the world for Scuba diving. The first thing I did was book a 2 day trip out to the islands.

The trip started early at 6a.m. collecting all the fellow divers from countries like Germany, Sweden, England, Ireland, Russia, and Canada (*raises hand*). We reached one of the 9 main islands in Similian at about 9a.m. by speed boat. My ear was still slightly soar after the days prior scrap.

The water clear, warm, and low current allowed quick drops in for a 50 min frolic. Let me say that there are several things a diver is always blessed to see. The rarest is probably a Whale Shark; others include turtles, octopus, sharks, sea snakes, and the elusive Manta Ray. So if you see any of these things you can be assured your dive trip has been made.

The descent was a little shaky as my ear was giving me some troubles. I went down nice and steady and things cleared up as soon as I reached 27m. Pop, crackle, screaming? Screaming? What? Where? I turned my head to be confronted with a massive Manta, the rarest of rare. This sucker would make Steve Erwins blood curtle. (Bad joke) He must have been about 4m wide and 7 meters long. A truly amazing sight. So my trip was done. Get me out of the water I am satisfied. Nope! Not done yet! Coral was above average with purple, reds, and brown fans about. Massive puffers bobbled there way over to say hi, seemingly winking a friendly nod.

As the dive got going we ran into another Manta, this one slightly smaller but he seemed to have more colour. Dark spots and stripes puzzled his back as he glided like an angel across our path. The current a mere breeze against his strides.

Dive one wasnt complete until we saw a third Manta! What luck! My heart was pumping enough already, make it stop! Rays, Puffers, and fan coral, OH MY!

Dive one over.

Lunch brought about the best of Thai Cuisine. Hot curries, soft chicken, crunchy peanuts and almonds with a touch of coconut milk filled our bellies. Coca Cola? Heresy, bring me a Fanta to blend the curries in our mouths!

Dive two was just as exciting with an array of smaller rays filling the sandy bottom. Seven or Eight of them all looking up with two curious eyes. As we pushed past them our fins gave a fuss and then they rolled forward away from the silt showing us there rainbow backs. Wonderous!

Near the end of the dive I came across a massive Leopard Shark gently watching me from 3 meters away. I stopped and gave the obligitory snap of my fingers to get the attention of my dive buddies. The special lens filter in my goggles allowed me to see this camoflaged giant as my team couldnt seem to find him until further inspection. He simply stared back at us letting us know we were no match. Casual hellos were exchanged and we were on our way back up.

Day two brings us to the Surin Islands. What havent I been blessed to see on my dive trips? Lets see, I have still to see an octopus, a turtle, a sea snake, and a cuttle fish. Lets see what luck we have today?

The dive site we reached was really out of our skill level. Only the most confident drift divers could handle this current. Our masks were ripped off with even the slightest movement of our heads. Aquaman would get tired. We quickly ascended to find a better location and found a nice bay to protect us from the angry current. Good choice. Although the water was a frigged 23 degrees the cold water brought about amazing visibility. Seeing distance allows for spotting of the rarest species. Just as I thought id see it all an incredible leather-back turtle pushes his way past us. This ancient turtle didnt seem to find the tepid waters bothersome. Black pooled eyes seemed to show us compasion as he strolled through the water to some unknown food source. I bet he would like my apricot chicken.

So what next? How about a sea snake. This black and white snake is poisonous, deadly infact. Luckily someone above designed these snakes a little to small to actually bite anything but your earlobe or maybe between your fingers. *Wipes brow*

Giant Moray Eeel next? Of course. Green and gasping he stared us down laughing at our noisy entrance. Puff, Puff, Pause, almost giving birth it seemed to ask us to hold its hand.

Ive always removed the tentacles from my fried rice chicken dishes. Something about a tentacle doesnt seem to work for me. Alive and moving past you can give you a jolt of fun. Cuttle-fish! A floating vacuum cleaner this drab coloured fish enjoyed stopping its constant feast to say hi. Waving I asked him how his lunch was. He just frowned at me and moved on, must be British.

I still have yet to see an octopus. Maybe the Red Sea in Egypt will give me this gift as Thailand has shown me too much!

Under the Sea,

D.

No comments: