Monday, November 06, 2006

Day 50: Full Moon Party

Hello again,

Thailand is famous for its full moon parties, especially on the southern island of Ko Phangan. I decided to check it out myself and see what all the fuss was about.

This party originated several years back with some tourists discovering how beautiful the moon looked from this particular location in Asia. Every month they would get together and stay up all night to celebrate how nice it was.

As people/tourists heard about this they came to join in. Eventually the celebration turned into a massive dance beach party with crowds varying from 4000-15000 people.

Here are some pictures showing the celebration.



The boat across had the worst music ever playing. Top right shows some glow in the dark paints available. I was thinking of a giant maple leaf on my chest.



These guys had some talent. Fire on chains.



Top right shows three of thousands of drunk partiers.



The beach was littered by 2 am.



The sleep area (above right).
I really enjoyed the music here. It was very modern and the stereo systems were pretty good quality, something from a good concert.

Must have been close to 5000 people? Not sure. Packed for sure.

I didnt party at all, I just walked around and took pictures for the first couple hours. By 2am I went for a 2 hour massage. By 4am I was online talking to my parents. By 5 am I walked to sleeeep. I think it will be more fun when I dont bring my camera and dance the night away.

Enjoy the pictures! (I had more, takes way to long on this pc)

D.

No comments: