Wednesday, November 29, 2006

South Thailand Complete (Part One)

Hello everyone.

I thought this would be a good time to write some thoughts on my quick trip through Southern-Thailand. Im sitting in the port near Satun, Thailand on my way to Malaysia.

My trip started with a long flight from Narita, Japan into Bangkok, Thailand. When I first landed I was amazing at the new airport. It had just opened the week prior to my landing. Walking around staring at the amazing building was a good start.

Going through customs was really easy. They couldnt be happier to let a 'rich' falang(white dude), into the country. As soon as I hit the outside gates I was harassed beyond belief. Quite a shock. "Where you going!" "Need taxi!" were comments yelled over and over.

After ignoring everyone I found the bus stop to Khao San Road. This famous road is based in the beginning of the movie, "The Beach". Its pretty much maintained is backwards meets modern style. Bug carts, shopping, hedonism, and good fruit shakes give you an interesting mix.

Spending 3 night in Khao San was enough. Exploring Bangkok and seeing its sights was mixed fun. The temples and imperial palace were quite amazing.

After the massages, food, and crazy nights I decided it was time for some quite reflection. Planning a dive trip down south to a small island seemed exactly what I needed. Ko Tao it was.

A 12 hour combined bus/waiting/standing around trip was relatively painless. Paying 10,000 baht for 4 nights 5 days accomidation/certification/book/equipment seemed really cheap. Infact its one of the cheapest places in the world to get certified, depsite the 5-star notch.

(I need to get my passport stamped, more to come!)

D.

No comments: